Seeing every change, even from parallel branches

Topics: Developer Forum
Jul 9, 2008 at 7:38 PM
Hi,

I may be misunderstanding what the add in does, or not using it correctly.  I have a branched project and I want to see all the changes in that branch as well as the changes from the trunk or branch that it was branched from (before the branch), back as far as possible.  This is how VSS worked and we've gotten used to it.  When I use the add in, it shows changes to all branches intermingled, even "parallel" branches (effectively this is show all changes from all branches - cool, but not what I want).

Can the add-in do what I want?
Developer
Jul 15, 2008 at 8:29 PM
Edited Jul 15, 2008 at 8:30 PM
In the latest version, you can sort the output by clicking on any column header in the list view.
So, for instance, if you click on the Path column header, the output gets sorted by path, which is effectively a way to sort by branch name.

Is this OK for you?
Jul 16, 2008 at 2:30 PM
That does help, but it still isn't quite what I was looking for.  Maybe a picture would help:
trunk--t1--t2--t3--t4--t5--t6
         |   |
         |   branch2--b2.1--b2.2--b2.3...
         |
         branch1--b1.1--b1.2--b1.3...

What I would really like to see is what saw in VSS (probably the only thing I liked better about VSS :)).  Assume the diagram above represents changes to a file in the trunk and a couple of branches.

If I am working on branch #2 and do a history of the file, I would like to see:
b2.3
b2.2
b2.1
t2
t1

If I am working on branch #1 and do a history, I would like to see:
b1.3
b1.2
b1.1
t1

We have many, many branches of often unrelated projects, prototypes, etc - I don't need to see those changes very often.  I think there I times when I will want to see them, so this is a great feature and I plan to keep it, but generally I just want to see a straight path back to the start of the file.  I think the meta data is there for what I want, I'm just not sure how you could present it in the branched history view while maintaining the full view of all changes.  Perhaps if there was a column that showed all the branches along the history of a file leading to each changeset, I could sort by that - might not be possible or practical?  Otherwise it might be a separate command.

Thanks for the reply, your efforts are appreciated.

Dec 4, 2014 at 11:10 AM
Any solution about it ?